Thursday, August 14, 2008

My children don't listen

Regularly I think that we used to listen better than my children do - or some of their friends for that matter. Guess what? That may be a fact.

Talking to my sister-in-law the other day she said this is more than just a nostalgic belief. She is a speech therapist and works with children of all ages. She knows about these things. Her explanation: children nowadays learn many things in a visual way, ICT, internet, visual instructions and visual aids for learning. All contribute. Spoken instructions, listening before getting going, seems to be a thing of the past for today's children. How frustrating for me as a mum who links being listened to to being respected!

1 comment:

Mayet said...

I think that my siblings and I have listened more to our parents compared to the little ones, and it's true that we somehow equate listening to being respected. Maybe that's being old fashion but I still like my own child to learn that. It won't be easy but I will be persistent.Mind you, I have a long way to go--my daughter just turned 9 months!