Thursday, August 14, 2008

Hooray for Holland hockey

We won! Yesterday the Orange hockey men beat the Brits. Having grown up amongst hockey fanatics and enthusiasts I had to watch. My daughter was watching with me. The louder I chivvied the Dutch along, the more she cheered for Great Britain - the "Engelish" as she calls them, being five.

Clearly the result of a display of my chauvinistic side. In the meantime the audience in the stadium is chanting: "Holland ... Holland ...!

At some stage the commentator makes an "unforgivable" mistake. He says: " Holland, or 'the Netherlands' as they prefer to call themselves for hockey. Die Niederlaende."

How can he get so confused?! That is German for the Netherlands. Dutch, German, it doesn't really matter. But, you don't want to mix them up ... !


No comments: